Looking For Anything Specific?

Why We Shouldn't Make A Metaverse

Roblox’s outage reminded me of another outage from earlier this year, when Facebook had a miiiinor configuration issue that caused a teensy-weensy global outage across all of their services. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about; it was the one day this year when no one from high school told you you could be your own boss if you sold their skin cream. (Also, sorry about everything I said and did in high school, babe!)

Facebook’s outage was just funny to me since I depend on Instagram for my insecurities, not for my living. But for millions of people, the outage was a huge deal that lost them hundreds or thousands of dollars. The Mark Zuckerberg memes aren’t as funny when he took your rent money.

Anyways, now Facebook is looking to get into the metaverse space, and they want to take all of their businesses and #girlbosses with them. And that should give everyone pause.

Meta

I never Meta CEO I would trust with my whole universe. Haha … but seriously.

See for games, Metaverses are great. You can hang out with your friends, build your own fun environments, and mess around exactly how you want to. And core to the idea of a metaverse is that there are basically infinite ways to customize it- meaning infinite ways you could break it. Awesome for gaming.

But once a metaverse becomes a center for commerce, as Facebook will no doubt make it, the stakes become a lot higher. It’s funny to joke around about kids’ Lego-simulator going down for three days. But it won’t be funny when “Meta” has an outage, and society grinds to a halt.

Top Image: Meta

Is Ad Technology Ruining the Internet?

Love Cracked but hate the ads? Get the One Cracked Fact daily newsletter–just enough Cracked sent to your inbox every day with zero videos. Sign up today!


Why We Shouldn't Make A Metaverse
Source: Pinoy Daily News

Post a Comment

0 Comments