Looking For Anything Specific?

4 Things I Considered My 'Children' Before My Kid Was Born

My Guitar

How I Thought Of It Before: 

I started playing guitar when I was 13, which is around the time a lot of people start to wonder who they are and how they fit into the world. “Guitar player” became my identity for a while. I played in a bunch of bands, dressed like I was auditioning for a Tom DeLonge biopic, and viewed my guitar almost like an extra appendage. Remember Bruce Campbell attaching that chainsaw to his stump arm in Army of Darkness? I saw that and thought “ooh, convenient.” But like, about my guitar.

Ash Army of the Dead

Universal Pictures

That’d leave just one hand left for playing the thing. I’d have to finger using my toes. 

Bizarrely, I also went through a bunch of different guitars, endlessly searching for the “right” one. Versatility was important: My band was punk and ska, but I also played in my school’s jazz band. Being a high school kid whose sole source of income was mowing lawns and reffing children’s soccer games, I couldn’t exactly afford a rotating cadre of axes with different specialties. If I wanted a new guitar, I’d save up for like a year, tell my parents that all I wanted for Christmas was to go halfsies on a Fender, and hope the guy at the shop gave me good trade-in value on my old one.


4 Things I Considered My 'Children' Before My Kid Was Born
Source: Pinoy Daily News

Post a Comment

0 Comments